PCM COMMUNITY SCHOOL DISTRICT
REGULAR BOARD OF EDUCATION MEETING
7:00 p.m., July 18, 2013
PCM High School Library, Monroe, IA
A. President Jean Jennings called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
Proceedings recorded pursuant to board policy 218, Board of Directors Records.
B. ROLL CALL: PRESENT: Mitchell Chipps, Michele Wilkie, Jill Witt, Jean Jennings. ABSENT: John Woestman, Greg Ingle, Steve Nearmyer.
C. AGENDA: Moved by Wilkie, seconded by Chipps to approve the agenda by amending the agenda to remove action items 4.b. – Official Publications and 5 – Appoint Legal Counsel. AYES – ALL. Motion carried 4-0.
D. CONSTITUENTS CORRESPONDENCE: Jon Buys addressed the board regarding his concerns on the technology initiative in the district and the drainage at the Prairie City site. Harold Van Wyk addressed the board regarding the recent vote on the SAVE revenue purpose statement and the rescheduling of July’s board meeting. Christy Lindsay thanked the board for moving the regular meeting this month to support the girls’ softball team and Mr. Bridges for gathering the band for the Prairie Days celebration.
E. CELEBRATIONS: Softball and Baseball programs had great seasons. The Brandon Myers football camp went well. Band camp is scheduled to begin next week. Monroe Elementary playground is installed and looks good.
F. CONSENT ITEMS:
1. Board Minutes: Moved by Wilkie, seconded by Chipps to approve the June 17, 2013 regular minutes and June 27, 2013 and July 8, 2013 special meeting minutes as presented. AYES – ALL. Motion carried 4-0.
2. Financial Reports: Moved by Wilkie, seconded by Chipps to accept the financial reports as presented. AYES – ALL. Motion carried 4-0.
3. Bills for Payment: Moved by Chipps, seconded by Wilkie to approve the bills for payment as presented. AYES – ALL. Motion carried 4-0.
Board member Steve Nearmyer joined the meeting at 7:23 p.m.
G. ACTION ITEMS:
1. Insurance Renewal: Moved by Wilkie, seconded by Nearmyer to approve the insurance renewal with Tri-County Insurance. AYES – ALL. Motion carried 5-0.
2. City of Prairie City Letter of Recommendation: Moved by Nearmyer, seconded by Wilkie to approve a letter of recommendation for the City of Prairie City’s grant application to make storm water drainage improvements. AYES – ALL. Motion carried 5-0.
3. Football Lighting Pay Application: Moved by Wilkie, seconded by Chipps to approve the pay application for football lighting. AYES – ALL. Motion carried 5-0.
4. Annual Resolutions:
a. Financial Depositories & Amounts: Moved by Chipps, seconded by Wilkie to approve the following resolution regarding financial depositories & amounts:
Resolved, that the PCM Community School District approve the following list of financial institutions to be depositors of the PCM Community School funds in conformance with all applicable provisions of Iowa Code Chapters 452 and 453 (1983) as amended by 1984 Iowa Acts, S.F. 2220. The school district treasurer is hereby authorized to deposit the PCM Community School District’s funds in amounts not to exceed the maximum approved for each respective financial institution as set out below:
|Depository Name||Location of Home Office||Maximum Balance in Effect under prior Resolution||Maximum Balance in Effect under this Resolution|
|Great Western Bank||Prairie City, IA||$7,500,000.00||$7,500,000.00|
|Monroe State Bank||Monroe, IA||$4,000,000.00||$5,000,000.00|
CERTIFICATION. I hereby certify that the foregoing is a true and correct copy of a resolution of the PCM Community School District adopted at a meeting of said public body, duly called and held on the 18th day of July, 2013.
AYES – ALL. Motion carried 5-0.
b. Official Publications: Item removed from the agenda.
5. Appoint Legal Counsel: Item removed from the agenda.
6. Commission Allocations: Moved by Chipps, seconded by Wilkie to approve the recommendations for commission allocations as submitted. AYES – ALL. Motion carried 5-0.
7. Technology Purchases:
a. MacBook Pros: Moved by Nearmyer, seconded by Chipps to approve the purchase of MacBook Pros. AYES – ALL. Motion carried 5-0.
b. Aruba Wireless System: Item failed due to lack of motion.
c. Mac Minis: Item failed due to lack of motion.
8. 2012-2013 Legislative Resolutions: Moved by Wilkie, seconded by Nearmyer to submit legislative resolutions 15 – School Foundation Formula; 16 – Expanded Management Usage and 21 – PPEL for Transportation Repairs. AYES – ALL. Motion carried 5-0.
9. Milk Bids: Moved by Chipps, seconded by Wilkie to accept the bid from Anderson Erickson for our dairy products. AYES – ALL. Motion carried 5-0.
10. Bread Bids: Moved by Nearmyer, seconded by Wilkie to accept the bid from Bimbo Bakeries for bread products. AYES – ALL. Motion carried 5-0.
11. Board Policies:
a. 2nd Reading – 502.13: Moved by Wilkie, seconded by Nearmyer to approve the 2nd reading of 502.13 as modified. AYES – ALL. Motion carried 6-0.
H. DISCUSSION ITEMS:
1. Facilities Update: Staff has been working hard this summer to get our buildings ready for the upcoming school year. ME playground has been completed. PCE painting has been started in the classrooms. We are mainly focusing on general maintenance needs in the MS. Locker rooms are being painted in the HS. We are working to become proactive with our maintenance schedules throughout the district. The grounds have also been cleaned up around all buildings.
2. Student Field Trip (606.7)/Student Activity Program (504.7) Board Policies: Administration noted that approval for the boys’ golf state tournament overnight trip had not been approved by the board. We are looking to the board for interpretation on these groups for future events.
3. SAVE Revenue Purpose Statement: Since the vote for the revenue purpose statement failed in June, discussions were held about what happens in the future if a revenue purpose statement is not passed.
I. BUSINESS OF THE PEOPLE:
1. Moved by Nearmyer, seconded by Chipps to approve the resignation of Craig Naeve – Girls Soccer Head Coach and contract adjustment of Lori Storm to $13.75/hour. AYES – ALL. Motion carried 5-0.
J. LATE BREAKING NEWS: Several positions have been posted for special education and technology. Some of the new staff has been in the buildings already.
Moved by Nearmyer, seconded by Wilkie to move into a closed session for Superintendent Evaluation at 8:40 p.m. Such sessions are exempt from provisions of Chapter 21, Official Meetings Open to the Public, as provided in Chapter 21.5(1)(i) of the Iowa Code. Roll Call Vote: AYES – Wilkie, Witt, Nearmyer, Chipps, Jennings. NAYS – None. ABSENT – Woestman, Ingle. Motion carried 5-0.
Moved by Wilkie, seconded by Chipps to move out of closed session at 9:05 p.m. Roll Call Vote: AYES –Witt, Nearmyer, Chipps, Wilkie, Jennings. NAYS – None. ABSENT – Woestman, Ingle. Motion carried 5-0.
K. ADJOURN: Board President Jennings adjourned the meeting at 9:06 p.m.