You are here

501.7 Student Transfers Out or Withdrawals

The student’s parents or the student may withdraw or transfer the student from school prior to completing and graduating from the education program. The student or parent shall notify the superintendent in writing as soon as possible of the decision to withdraw or transfer the student from the education program. The notice shall state the student’s final day of attendance. The student or parent should present this written notice at the office and receive instructions regarding the return of textbooks, library books, locker equipment, hot lunch tickets, etc.


If the student is not enrolling in another school district, the school district shall maintain the student’s records in the same manner as the records of students who have graduated from the school district.


If the student is of compulsory education age and not transferring to another public school district or an accredited nonpublic school, the parents shall notify the superintendent that the student is receiving competent private instruction and file the necessary competent private instruction reports.


If the parents wish to have the student’s cumulative record sent to the new school district, the parents shall notify the superintendent in writing. This notice shall include the name of the school district and the person at the new school district to whom the student’s cumulative records should be sent. If the new school district requests the student’s cumulative records, the school district will forward the cumulative records and notify the parents the records have been sent. The notice shall inform the parents of their right to review the records sent.


Legal Reference:                   

20 U.S.C. § 1232g (1988).

Iowa Code §§ 274.1; 299.1-.1A.


Approved   02/26/91       Reviewed 05/16/2016     Revised 05/16/2016