Students will be informed of the action to take in an emergency. Emergency drills for fire, weather, and other disasters shall be conducted each school year. Fire and tornado drills shall be each conducted regularly during the academic school year with a minimum of two before December 31 and two after January 1.
Each attendance center will develop and maintain a written plan containing emergency and disaster procedures. The plan will be communicated to and reviewed with employees. Employees shall participate in emergency drills. Certified employees shall be responsible for instructing the proper techniques to be followed in the drill.
The emergency plan shall include:
- assignment of employees to specific tasks and responsibilities;
- instructions relating to the use of alarm systems and signals. If combination visual and auditory warning devices do not exist, the plan shall include specific provisions for warning individuals with hearing impairments;
- information concerning methods of fire containment;
- systems for notification of appropriate persons and agencies;
- information concerning the location and use of firefighting equipment;
- specification of evacuation routes and procedures;
- posting of plans and procedures at suitable locations throughout the facility;
- evacuation drills which include the actual evacuation of individuals to safe areas;
- an evaluation for each evacuation drill.
Legal Reference: Iowa Code §§ 100.31.
281 I.A.C. 41.27(3).
Approved 02/26/91 Reviewed 12/19/2016 Revised 12/19/2016