Health services shall be coordinated with the health education and physical education curriculum. The program shall be designed to help each student protect, improve and maintain physical, emotional and social well-being. Areas to be considered include, but are not limited to:
- Environmental health and safety;
- Emergency health procedures and responsibilities;
- Health promotion;
- Communicable disease prevention and control;
- Staffing for the school health program;
- Administering of prescription medication;
- Acute or chronic health problems;
- Health assessment and screening;
- Record keeping; and
- Program evaluation.
Nurses and other medical employees employed by or requested to conduct services for the board shall hold and maintain a current Iowa license and meet the requirements of the Iowa Department of Education if required by the school district. In addition to the health services provided in the curriculum, the school district will provide the following district-wide health services:
- Annual vision screening tests;
- Annual audiometer screening tests;
- Annual spinal screening;
- Annual height and weight measurement; and
- Furnish evidence of immunization for students to the State Board of Health within the first thirty days of the school year.
The services listed above will be provided in conjunction with state public health officials and local hospitals.
The superintendent shall provide a written report on the role of health services in the education program to the board annually.
Legal Reference: Iowa Code §§ 139.9; 143.
641 I.A.C. 7.
281 I.A.C. 12.3(9).
Approved 03/25/91 Reviewed 03/20/2017 Revised 05/19/97